What is an e-liquid?
Considering the essence of your electronic cigarette, an e-liquid is essential for vaping. Discover in this article everything you need to know about this vaping liquid.
What is e-liquid?
E-liquid is a fluid or viscous substance that is the main constituent of an electronic cigarette. The basic element of vaping is essentially composed of:
Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin
Propylene glycol (PG) provides the hit, a sensation felt in the throat during the vape. It also optimises the taste and flavour of the e-liquid.
Vegetable glycerin (VG), meanwhile, plays a role in the density and appearance of the vape.
According to the manufacturers, the classic dosage of PG/VG in an e-liquid can be:
- 60% PG and 40% VG;
- 50% PG and 50% VG;
- 70% PG and 30% VG.
Note that the more dominant a composition is, the more it demonstrates its effects.
Nicotine, flavourings and other components
An e-liquid can also contain nicotine ranging from 2 to 19.6 mg/ml. It may also contain a small amount of water and alcohol which makes it more fluid. Furthermore, this liquid for vaping can be flavoured or not.
Thanks to its components, the e-liquid, therefore, has the role of producing vapour by imitating the smoke of a classic cigarette. Presented mainly in the form of vials or pre-filled cartridges, this liquid for vaping is marketed on specialised websites, in tobacconists or in shops.
The main flavours of an e-liquid
Depending on the brand, electronic cigarette liquids are available in several flavours to offer any consumer profile a variety of pleasures and satisfaction. Depending on taste, preferences and habit, it is possible to choose:
- Classic flavours: they provide familiar tobacco tastes and are ideal for ex-smokers looking to fully convert to vaping;
- Sweet or gourmet flavours: very varied, ranging from vanilla and chocolate flavours to caramelised flavours, they are dedicated to lovers of sweets or pastries;
- Fruity flavours: e-liquids with fruity flavours are exceptionally appreciated by the majority of the fairer sex. The most common choices are apple, strawberry, cherry, lime, pineapple, or mango;
- Menthol flavours: these offer a certain freshness at the time of the hit. They are ideal for former smokers who have enjoyed traditional menthol cigarettes;
- Drink flavours: they can remind vapers of the flavours of their favourite drinks, including tea, coffee, coca-cola, soda, pina colada, and even mojito.
E-liquid: with nicotine or not?
The electronic cigarette was originally designed to provide a nicotine substitute for tobacco. However, there are nicotine-free e-liquids that can be vaped as is.
It should also be noted that the nicotine levels in e-liquids are diversified. Vapers can thus choose the nicotine dosage according to their needs and objectives.
Here is an indicative list of the dosage to be preferred according to the number of cigarettes smoked each day:
- 18 mg/ml: 30 cigarettes/day
- 12 mg/ml: 20 cigarettes/day
- 9 mg/ml: 15 cigarettes/day
- 6 mg/ml: 10 cigarettes/day
- 3 mg/ml: less than 10 cigarettes/day
- 0 mg/ml: for those who want e-liquids without nicotine.
Standards and legislation on e-liquid
To protect the health of vapers, the sale and consumption of e-cigarettes are governed by legislation. This mainly concerns e-liquid and all other devices that make up the electronic cigarette.
ISO standardisation also makes it possible to regulate e-liquid. ISO 8317 governs e-liquid packaging safety. It, therefore, concerns bottles and safety caps. On the other hand, the ISO 9001 standard governs the design and dosage of e-liquid ingredients, the manufacturing technique as well as the quality approach.